Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Many Houses of The 2009 Fall TV season

Just realised that the Fall TV season is three weeks old and I haven't mentioned any of the shows here (I did on Twitter, but that's like... TWITTER).

Anyway, I've acquired quite a number of shows, mostly old staples like Bones, Lie To Me, House, Heroes, Dexter, Dollhouse, Fringe, the three CSIs, True Blood, Californication, Mad Men and The Mentalist.

There are a couple of new shows as well, but unlike last year where we had Dollhouse, Fringe, True Blood, The Mentalist and Lie To Me all making their debuts, this year it's been a bit lean on the 'promising new show' side. The only ones I bothered with were FlashForward, Warehouse 13 and The Forgotten.

So far, the best new show I've seen is FlashForward. It's got a very very intruging concept and idea, mainly - the entire world loses consciousness for two minutes 17 seconds, and during that time, everyone gets a glimpse of their future. What happens next is that everyone has to come to grips with knowing their future, no matter whether it is a positive or negative future. It's an intriguing plot, and I really can't wait to see how it pans out.

Warehouse 13 is pretty cool too, like a very light-hearted version of the X-Files (which some peopel apparntely don't like), but I like it just precisely because it's kooky and fun. It's about two agents who have to hunt down supernatural artifacts and bring it back to the titular Warehouse 13 for storage. Remember warehouse in the end of Raiders of The Lost Ark? It's kinda like that kind of warehouse. The show's not bad, and the story gets better towards the end of the season, so give it a chance...

Anyway, of the old shows I've watched so far, my favorites have been House, Dollhouse, Lie To Me and Dexter. I haven't bothered with Heroes since halfway through the last season, and I only just finished watching Fringe's first season yesterday (it turned out to be be quite brilliant in the end, and can't wait to start on the next).

Haven't watched The Forgetten though. It looks like just another procedural drama, so I'm not in THAT big a hurry to watch it yet.

Dollhouse is still one of my favorite shows - it's smart, intriguing and the story has amazing potential. But apparently Americans are too dumb to notice that, since it's ratings were really really low for the second season. Sigh... I hope it doesn't get cancelled...

Dexter's first ' episode was not bad, and so was Lie To Me, CSI and CSI Miami. But the one that's my favorite so far is House, obviously. (Hmm... between House, Warehouse 13 and Dollhouse, it seems to be a real year of houses huh?)



The two hour season opener, which picks up where last season left off - with Hosue checking into a psychiatric rehab facility - and this time, HE is the patient. great stuff... Now THAT is a season opener to match your season finales, Dr. House. Now go forth and win that Emmy next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment