Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Paid Good Money for HAHAHAHAHA not Yuk-Yuk, goddammit.

I went for a comedy show tonight. For a comedy show, it wasn't very funny. To me, that is. I was really bored. All the other people in the audience seemed to be laughing their eyes, ears and noses off, but all I could raise throughout the 2 hour plus show was a couple of heh hehs and yuk yuks, and maybe a chuckle or two. And I'm royally pissed off at that.

Hey, I paid bloody eighty bucks for a damn good laugh, a laugh that everyone who apparently saw the show was saying would be coming. For that kind of money I expect GUFFAWS, LOUD HA HAs that will bring the roof down. Not a couple of yuk yuks. I've had CONVERSATIONS that were funnier, goddammit.

I can't fault their presentation though. Even though they DID recycle some routines, and even used a couple of Internet jokes, it was still a well-produced act. So what was it then? Why was I so bored?

So maybe it was the topics they were 'joking' about. Most of the jokes were the usual Malaysian jokes that I used to laugh loudly at - stuff about the corruption, the politics, the education system... But somehow I didn't find them funny this time.

Have I become too jaded for these kind of jokes? Have I lost my sense of humour? Have I lost that innate Malaysian ability to laugh at ourselves? I don't think so. I think it's just that these occurrences, these scandals, these issues and these thorns in our nation are becoming so commonplace that they're just not funny anymore. We've come to a point where it's time to stop laughing at these things. Something's gotta change, goddammit.

But I digress. Back to the 'comedy'. The stereotype racial jokes, the supposedly funny jokes about social networking and the Internet, the cliched Who Wants To Be A Millionaire parodies... it's boring. It's unoriginal. Every Malaysian 'comedian' has done those skits, those jokes, those costumes. And I'm bored of it.

The next time I pay RM80 for a laugh, there better well be LOUD HAHAHAHAHA GUFFAWS or I swear there will be hell to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment