Saturday, March 6, 2010

Suicidal Thoughts On The Internet

I just had a person share some suicidal thoughts with me while on the internet.

I am not that disturbed by it, perhaps I know this pain all too well.

The endless pit of apathy.

I offered only my simple perspective: it's okay if things suck, it's not okay to give up.

They mentioned they were switching meds for the night, so most likely that is all this was.

I'm hardly qualified to give anyone advice, I'm not exactly doing too hot here myself.

But I see no problem with reaching out and telling people that they don't have to be alone, and remind them that internet can't replace human interactions.

I feel though that there is a great deal of anxiety out there, and it needs to be validated. I feel it too. Some dreadful uncertainty about just about everything.

But some of us so often forget that there are real people on the other end of the these screens, and a cry for help is a cry for help.

I am not so cold as to ignore that, and I have found it be nothing be than am issue of people knowing that somebody gives a damn.

That somebody on this madness of the internet actually understands that not everything in the whole world is one big joke, that people matter. We shouldn't ever give up on ourselves regardless of how ugly things get.

No comments:

Post a Comment