Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Presenting My First Nokia... The MONSTER 918!

Yesterday, Nokia Malaysia's tweeter @NokiaMy ran this question pass us: What was your first Nokia device?

While there were many who used to have the Nokia 3210, 8210, and 2110, those were still pretty damn new compared to what Suanie and I used to have.

Yes, we used to have a model that is so obscure that even Wikipedia's List of Nokia products states its release date as 'UNKNOWN'!

Behold, the MONSTER Nokia 918!



I got this phone back when I was in UPM, when ADAM (remember that?) was beta testing their pre-paid service (the first of its kind in Malaysia, if I recall) on UPM students. We were among the first in the country to have a pre-paid mobile phone line, and they gave us the 918 together with the plan. Ah, happy memories. It was at this point that pagers started going extinct, I think... LOL.

The 918 came in all sorts of colors. Besides my banana-coloured one, there were also Brinjals, Cucumbers, Carrots and even Chillies. And almost EVERY student in UPM who could afford one had one of these (I could barely afford it myself... I didn't top up the credit very often, but left the service active so my parents could call me.)

Want to know exactly how big it was? Here's a picture comparing it to the E71 (my current Nokia phone).



It was so big that we didn't have a SIM CHIP last time. We had to put the WHOLE CARD INTO THE PHONE!

I mean, seriously, check out how THICK it was!


(Spot the E71)

It's a wonder I could even fit this inside my pocket at the time (Or maybe I just had really big pockets. Wish they had more money in them at the time though... sigh)

It's heavy duty too. I once dropped this down a flight of stairs and it fell one floor down. The battery came off, of course, but when I put it back together, it worked perfectly! I don't know if it still works now though - I dare not try my sim card on it in case it FRIES the damn thing...

Awesome isn't it? Now BEAT THAT, all you 3210 and 3310s! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment