Thursday, May 20, 2010

Close Encounter With The Son Of A Legend

Yesterday, I went for an interview with a couple of actors. I thought it would be a fairly routine interview, with the same old questions "How was it like working on the movie" "What does your character do" "Did you flirt with the lead actress" kinda shit.

Then while I was waiting for the interview outside the room, a frail looking old man came out and sat next to me quietly on the couch. So there we were, sitting quietly there not saying a word. I had no idea who he was, for all I know he was just some random old guy with a bodyguard.

After a few minutes, the PR girl came over and invited BOTH of us into the room. That was when I realized who he was:



See those three people with me? The hot chick's name is Rose Chan, and she's pretty much unknown right now (she was nice and sweet and very talkative - a sure sign she's still new and still not jaded from years of reporters questions). The guy on the far right you might recognise: he's Louis Fan Siu-Wong (樊少皇), that Kam Shan Zhao (金山找) guy from IP MAN 1 and 2 (you know, the dude whom Ip Man beat up with a feather duster...).

And that old guy in front of me? That's Ip Man's REAL LIFE SON Ip Chun (葉準).

All three of them were in town to promote the upcoming movie THE LEGEND IS BORN: IP MAN (葉問前傳), a sort of prequel to the first two movies, starring Ip Chun's real-life Wing Chun student Dennis To as a teenage Ip Man; and will be released on 24 June.

Yes, I know, this movie coming out so soon after Ip Man 2 DOES smack a little of striking the iron while it's hot and milking the franchise dry, but one thing is for sure - the fighting in this new movie should be fucking awesome. Why? Because EVERYBODY is fighting using Wing Chun, and not just Ip Man alone.

Another reason to watch it - Ip Chun (who wasn't even born yet during the period this movie is set in) will be playing one of Ip Man's three Wing Chun teachers. Yup, the real Ip Chun will be playing the master of his father Ip Man, who is played by one of Ip Chun's real students. Geddit?

But more on the movie when I not review it later. For now, Im a little upset that I sat next to Ip Chun all that time and never once tried to talk to him. If I'd known he'd be there, I'd have asked for an individual interview to grill him about his father. Sigh...

Oh well, at least I got that picture....


----------------------
(Update, 11am)

Ooooh, I just found out that I WILL have a chance to interview Ip Chun tomorrow after all. Quick, tell me: If YOU had a chance to talk to the son of the legendary Ip Man, what would YOU ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment