Sunday, April 24, 2011

Melancholic Hurts And The Infinite Sad Happiness



So, apparently this band called HURTS is coming to KL for a gig. Not having even heard of them before, I was intrigued. So I decided to give their debut album Happiness a listen to see if they'd be worth going to watch live.

Ironically, despite calling their album 'Happiness', the band doesn't actually sound very happy in their songs, heh heh. In fact, the whole album is filled with melancholic, melodramatic power ballads, with a few upbeat synthpop numbers thrown in between.

It's fairly uncomplicated fare - their music is more pop than rock, to tell the truth, veering more into mainstream synthpop, like a combination of Savage Garden, Duran Duran and bizarrely, Rick Price (one of the songs actually reminded me of Heaven Knows).

Ok, I know that description doesn't sound very flattering to them, but the album actually is pretty decent. Most reviews of the album so far have emphasized the strength of singles Wonderful Life and A Better Day, while complaining about the number of melancholic ballads in the album. I happen to be the opposite - I prefer the ballads, and actually think they are actually the better part of this album.

Album opener Silver Lining sets the tone for what's to come - most of the songs here are uncomplicated, catchy pop numbers with killer hooks and the occasional melodramatic soaring climax, which suits me just fine. Other songs I kinda liked were Blood Tears and Gold; Illuminated, Unspoken and Evelyn.

Surprisingly, the much-praised Wonderful Life and Better Than Love sounded a little bland and unremarkable to me. (The latter actually reminded me of a less edgy White Lies, to tell the truth). And while we're comparing acts, their duet with Kylie Minogue - Devotion - even reminded me of a song by Gregorian. Heh.

My favorite of the lot, however, has to be Stay. Sure, it's a completely clichéd, bombastic and melodramatic song, but I can't seem to stop listening to it. Maybe it's the melancholic romantic in me, but this sort of songs always seem to catch my attention more than most.

So, would it be worth going to watch them live?

Well, I'd give this band the benefit of the doubt. Judging from some of the songs on the album, they should be a pretty decent live act. Songs like Stay, Illuminated and Silver Lining would be GREAT when played live, especially if the crowd is familiar enough to sing along with them. I personally can't wait to sing along to Stay. Hey, what can I say, I'm partial to guilty pleasure singalongs at concerts, so sue me.

Anyway, if you're interested to go watch the show, they'll be playing this 6th May, at Mist Club. You can get tickets at Red Tix, or at selected Rock Corner, Victoria Music or TOPMAN outlets. For more information,click on the poster below:



TOPMAN is also 

offering
 a
 special
 ticket
 price
 of
 RM105
, exclusively 
for
 their
 Fashion
 Fast
Forward
 members, with 10 
pairs 
of 
Meet 
& 
Greet 
passes
 to
 be
 won
 for
 members
 who 
purchase
 the 
MusicTicket+
 together
 with
 the
 RM105 
TOPMAN 
concert
 tickets.
(Only
 at
 TOPMAN 
outlets)

MusicTicket+ is 
a 
collectible 
music 
download
 card
 that 
gives 
the 
ultimate 
fan
access

to 
exclusive 
songs 
and 
is 
available 
with 
the 
concert 
ticket.
 MusicTicket+ 
is 
being 
offered 
for Hurts' 
Asian 
Tour. With it, you 
can 
choose
 and
 download
 5 
Hurts 
tracks
 you
 can’t
 find 
anywhere 
else, 
including
 special
 live 
performances.



No comments:

Post a Comment