Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Miss California and the Question of Gay-Marriage


Carrie Prejean (Miss California):I think it‘s great that we live in a country where you can chose same-sex marriage or [gay-marriage]. .. In my country, and in my house, marriage is between a man a woman,

I see these words as fair and respectful statements to make, in such a position. In her country, her state and her house she views marriage as an exclusive right for heterosexuals. Unfortunately, the state laws of California currently reflect her point of view over my own. Just as she said herself, I also believe the true beauty of American democracy is the right to chose. The right to chose to repeal the ban on gay-marriage in my case. This battle is yet to fought.

Another vital element of this American Beauty lies in the fundamental Freedom of Speech found not exclusive to this single event, by any means. It can be found all around us.



In the media-aftermath, Perez Hilton (pageant judge) revealed that he desired a more educated response.

Hilton:What she should have said is: .. ‘We live in a country where the states decide on some laws and the federal government decide on other laws.’”

Hilton is most likely unaware that recent statistics on civic education in America are at all time lows. I doubt he intended to be so, but the question was asking for civics knowledge in a time when such an item is a precious commodity.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent Carrie Prejean Interview From Alan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment