Sunday, April 19, 2009

RIP: J.G. Ballard, Dystopic Crasher, Survivor of the Empire of The Sun



R.I.P.
J.G. Ballard
(1930-2009)


If you don't know who J.G. Ballard is, you haven't been reading enough books. Or at least, you haven't been watching enough movies. Remember THIS?



Yes, that's a very, VERY young Batman, way before he became a foul-mouthed light technician-berating John Connor. (That's Christian Bale, to all you pop culture noobs out there).

I remember watching Empire of The Sun in the CINEMA (yes, I'm old) way back in the 80's, when I was a little kid. I was what, 10, and together with my big sister and my younger brother, we were the only three people in the Rex cinema in Mentakab watching this movie. And to this day, I can still remember almsot every single moment in the movie, from the protein-rich bugs in the rice, to the Hershey bars (real or otherwise).

While I have yet to read the book (yes yes, shame on me etc etc), I DO have it in my library (at least I think I do), and hope to read it er... soon.

As of now, rest in peace, J.G. Ballard, dystopic writer and survivor of the Empire of The Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment