Friday, August 6, 2010

Book Review: Vodka Classified (Stuart Walton)

Has it REALLY been almost two years since my last book review? Instead of 'Hopefully Weekly Book Reviews', I should start calling them 'Hopefully-bi-annually Book Reviews' instead...

Anyway, I've been doing a lot more reading these days, thanks to my not being able to sleep much in planes; so I decided to relaunch the book review section. And to ease things off, here's a simple one, a non-fiction book, more like a reference book in fact, on one of my favorite subjects... VODKA!

----------------------------------------------------



Title: Vodka Classified: A Vodka Lover's Companion
Author: Stuart Walton

Synopsis:
It's about vodka - from the history, how its made, where its made and how to drink it. Also has a guide to over 80 of the world's best-known vodkas, and a list of cocktails.

What I Liked:
  • VODKA! WHEE!
  • Very educational. Good reference for the column.
  • Also very interesting and simple to read. Didn't feel like I was reading an encyclopedia.
  • I love the guide on all the brands. Now when I see a particular brand in the airport, I know exactly where its from and what's so special about it...
  • Nice BIG pictures of the vodka brands' bottles. Sure helped me in identifying them when I was in the airport...
  • VODKA! WHEE!

What I didn't like:
  • Not much really, but I wish the cocktail section was a bit more detailed, and that each brand had a 'recommended cocktail' section.
Summary:
Do you like vodka? Want to know more about what you're drinking? Then this is the book for you. I LOVE vodka, and I've always wanted to find out more - how to appreciate it, the differences between the different brands and also HOW to drink vodkas properly.

This book is great because it was easy to read, and it also had all sorts of information about vodka. It's great for reference for my column, AND it's also made me curious to try more of the vodkas mentioned here, especially the once I've come across while traveling.

Oh, and it's about VODKA! WHEE!

Where to get it: Bookxcess has it for RM37+ I think. The original price at Kinokuniya is about RM80...

No comments:

Post a Comment