Monday, February 22, 2010

Stuck In a Rut

Lately I've been stuck in a rut when it comes to the blog. I get great ideas for posts, and I also have some stuff to review, but then when I actually open the 'New Post' page, I write two sentences then I lose interest. It's not like I've lost interest in blogging altogether, but lately I've been wondering, "What's the point?"

This blog has been going on for five, almost six years now. Now, that's one heck of a long time for a blog I'd initially set up just to do some book reviews and maybe write some nonsense on. But it's stagnated lately. I've run out of fresh ideas, run out of fresh ways to say unfresh things. Heck, even this post feels like I've written it before (hey, I think I wrote that last line before as well...).

When Haloscan got uppity and changed into that crappy Echo comments system, I lost ALL the few thousand comments I'd accumulated over the years. That's a LOT of comments. And I miss 'em. Because what's a blog if there are no comments? I'd initially thought of migrating the whole blog to a new engine like Wordpress with it's own domain name, but since then I've gotten lazy AGAIN, and just decided to leave the blog as it is.

I've been a lot more active in Twitter, true, but somehow it just ain't the same as having a nicely written blog post with people commenting about how cool or how sucky it actually is. And 140 characters just aren't enough sometimes. (Don't get me started on Twitlonger. That's for long-winded people who can't get to the point, but don't have enough intelligent thoughts or the vocabulary for a proper blog post).

Heck, I don't even update Hantu Bola as often anymore (though that's mostly because Liverpool is having a wretched season). It's like all the writing I do for both the day job AND the blog is finally catching up to me and I'm getting sick of it. Not the writing part, but the 'thinking of new ideas' part.

Anyway, I need something to get me going here again. Something fresh, something new to keep me going, something that I can actually feel enthusiastic about enough to keep updating regularly. Something like Suan's Bootcamp posts (without which we wouldn't get half as many updates from her).

Sure, we wish she'd blog about something else sometimes, but she's got such great passion and enthusiasm about the subject that it actually makes the post more interesting. So I need to find something that can spark me to write about it the way OBC sparks her enthusiasm to write about OBC. Since little bloggers like me don't get invited to half as many events as others, and I don't watch THAT many movies (so I can't keep churning out Movie Not-Reviews), I'm really at a loss here.

So... any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment