Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Silversun Swoon: Perfect For Drowning Out Annoying Ringtones



After looping Florence and The Machine and The XX endlessly in the days leading up to the concert last Sunday and two days after that as well; yesterday I figured I needed I change. A LOUD change.

Since I was chasing two deadlines yesterday and needed to concentrate, I especially needed something with a CONSTANT LOUDNESS to drown out the annoying Chipmunk and Spongebob ringtones as well as the constant phone chatter coming from the next cubicle.

The Silversun Pickups' Swoon turned out to be perfect for this, with its constant drumming beats and awesome guitar rhythms. Their last album Carnavas was pretty damn good, what with the awesome Lazy Eye, Rusted Wheel and Three Seeds in it; but I kinda like Swoon more. And I'm still upset that they lost the Best New Artist Grammy to some country music band.

Anyway, at one point, I ended up looping one particular song over and over and over and over and over again - The Royal We. It has a certain sneering attitude that I have a weakness for, some pretty neat small flourishes in the arrangements, and gradually builds itself into an awesome climax that I can't help headbanging to or screaming in the car whenever I hear it. Plus it's awesome to listen to when walking in malls. No, really.

My only complaint? 'The Royal We' sounds a bit er... wrong, like it was referring to some king's piss. And don't ask me what it means either...

No comments:

Post a Comment